Nonprofits often suffer from three things: 1) constant distractions, 2) a tangled mess of data and tools that hold them back, and 3) really big ideas on the backburner. Impact Upgrade is a software and operations consulting company, solely focused on closing these gaps. We upgrade your impact and get you back to your mission!
Our calling is to be behind the scenes, using tech to enhance reach and sustainability, as well as reducing the distractions and stress on leaders. Services include a mix of complex software engineering, virtual CTO, consulting, systems integration/analysis/admin, and ongoing support.
Software Engineer (Remote or Fort Wayne, IN area)
Impact Upgrade is experiencing rapid growth and is facing numerous opportunities in super impactful arenas! We’re looking for additional software engineers to join our team and serve nonprofits in a wide variety of ways.
We do have specialties and tools we often reach for, but we strive to be flexible generalists. So although there are a few areas that would be useful to have in your background (hit the ground running), we don’t expect you to have commanding experience with everything. More valuable to us is your ability to quickly learn and work on a variety of stacks and efforts.
- Development experience within a variety of distributed system and web platform arenas.
- Experience with API integration and automation.
- Experience with any RDBMS (we’re typically on postgres or mysql/mariadb).
- Overall generalist, but previous experience with Java/Kotlin (and typical JVM frameworks), Python (and Django), PHP (and Cake/Laravel), JS, or CSS would be extremely helpful to hit the ground running with current projects.
- An eye for development best practices.
- A consultant’s mindset. Assume nothing you find has to be the way it is. Ability to keep eyes open for better/easier/simpler/cheaper ways of doing things, recommend them, and oversee improvements.
- Ability to work independently in ambiguous and dynamic environments.
- Understand that some projects demand enterprise/hardened development, others a looser get-it-done approach, and others a mix — and know when each is appropriate.
- Fun, easy going, and service-centered heart. Our primary focus is serving nonprofit missions as well as helping their staff in any tech-centric way we can.
- Exposure to Salesforce, HubSpot, Twilio, SendGrid, Stripe, WordPress, MailChimp, QuickBooks, Zapier, or other widely used platforms in the nonprofit space.
- Limited exposure to AWS, Heroku, VPS providers (usually DigitalOcean or Linode), cloud storage, etc.
- Mobile app experience, but mainly with cross-platform stacks like Ionic, Flutter, Xamarin, or React Native
- Experience/familiarity with the nonprofit industry.
If that describes you, we’d love to chat and move quickly! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with an intro and resume.
- Full-time or nearly full-time.
- Open to discussing both W2 and contract options.
- If W2:
- We’ll work with you on retirement plan options and will contribute.
- Paid holidays and unlimited paid vacation time. (And not the type of “unlimited” where no one takes it. The kind where it’s expected and enforced…)
- Transparently, we’re not currently at a size where group insurance is in the cards. But, we’d love to chat about some alternate ideas.
- Our office is in Roanoke, IN and you’re welcome to join us there. However, we’re also distributed-first and open to fully-remote (some overlap with US hours — we’re in EST).